Support during study

Health and Wellbeing

What Uni: Mental health support available at university
Universities recognise the pressure students are under during their studies.  All offer a range of support relating to anxiety, low mood, stress and relationship problems.  What Uni? provides a guide to the mental health support students can source at university.

Other useful website links related to mental health include:

Mind is a mental health charity in England and Wales offering information, advice and support for people with, or those supporting people with, mental health problems.

Youngminds is a UK charity fighting for children and young people’s mental health.

Sane is a UK mental health charity, which works to improve the quality of life for anyone affected by a mental health illness.

The Samaritans
The Samaritans is a UK charity aimed at providing emotional support to anyone in emotional distress, struggling to cope, or at risk of suicide throughout the UK and Ireland.

Mental Health Foundation
Mental Health Foundation is a UK mental health charity. The charity aims to find and address the sources of mental health problems so that people and communities can thrive, focusing also on prevention.

Together is a UK charity offering a wide variety of support to help people deal with the personal and practical impacts of mental health issues.  

Anxiety UK
Anxiety UK is a charity for those affected by anxiety, stress and depression.

The Centre for Mental Health
The Centre for Mental Health is a charity providing research, economic analysis and policy influence in mental health.

Rethink is a charity which provides services for people living with mental illness.

Disability and Dyslexia Support

UCAS: Support for Disabled students FAQs
A UCAS resource with answers to the most frequently asked questions around support for disabled students while studying at university or college.

The Complete University Guide: A Dyslexic Student Guide
A resource from The Complete University Guide providing information and guidance to students with mental health needs and long-term medical conditions.

Career Advice

UCAS resources

The following are resources from UCAS on career advice:

UCAS: Careers Advice: Getting a job
A UCAS resource for students trying to get a job after university.

UCAS: Careers Advice: Employment
A UCAS resource for students getting ready for work after university.

Other resources

What Uni: Career Advice
A resource produced by What Uni? providing students with information on how to secure a role once they have graduated.  This includes advice on finding internships and placements to build workplace skills. 


What Uni: Accommodation
A resource produced by What Uni? providing key information on all aspects of student accommodation including the pros and cons of living at home while at university and the experience of living in student halls.

Specialist Support

Disabled students

Disability Rights UK
Disability Rights UK provides education factsheets and guides on getting into higher education, the funding and adjustments available to disabled students, and a useful FAQs section.  The charity also has a free helpline open on certain weekdays.

Refugees and asylum seekers

UCAS: Finance advice for refugees and asylum seekers
A UCAS resource providing financial advice on additional support available to refugees and asylum seekers studying on university programmes.

Care leavers

Universities recognise the challenges faced by students leaving care when entering university.  Most universities offer a range of support to care leavers from application through to graduation.  The following links provide more specialist advice for those who are care experienced:

Pathways Project
Pathways Project is a project exploring the barriers that care leavers face in accessing university, and the support that helps them succeed.

Financial support
A resource from the Office for Students on financial support, which might be available to care leavers and looked-after children attending a higher education institution.

Propel is a searchable website for care leavers, which provides information on support available from colleges and universities across the UK.  Includes experiences from care leavers themselves of higher education.  

Organisations that provide support to care leavers include:

National Network for the Education of Care Leavers (NNECL)
NNECL is an established network of higher education institutions and national organisations committed to the progression and support of Care Leavers in higher education.

Rees Foundation Charity  
Rees Foundation Charity is a charity which champions services to, with, and for care leavers and care experienced people and communities.

Become is a charity working to improve the everyday life and future life chance of children in care and young care leavers.

Buttle UK
Buttle UK was a quality mark created to celebrate the commitment of universities and colleges to support students who have experienced care. The last awards ceremony was held in 2015.

The Care Leaver Covenant
The Care Leaver Covenant is a promise made by private, public or voluntary organisations to provide support for care leavers aged 16-25 to help them live independently.

Office for Students Uni Connect Programme logo